Removing Viruses at 2017
Times have changed, in days past, a virus was a small program which would infect the memory when run and then it would infect other files it came in touch with.
Nowdays, viruses come in many flavors, there are the traditional viruses (do they even still exist?), worms, malware, spyware, ransomware among other types of unwanted small programs infecting your computer without you inviting them.
The distinction between those types of bad software is non relevant IMHO, all of those shouldn't exist and ideally I should have one tool to scrap them all.
But the reality is different, if you find some bad behaviour infecting your browser for example (a sticky not needed homepage or search engine etc) which tool do you need to start in order to eradicate it ? maybe you will even end by googling it out and doing some manual labor in order to remove it (ridiculous as it is prone to error and to other hazards).
So, I hereby declare here my dissatisfaction of the current state of things and declare as well my wish to have one single good tool to eliminate all of these bad software tools (viruses).
Till this awesome antivirus arrives here are my two cents appearing as a list of tools I recommed using when a virus appears:
List of free good virus removal tools
- Download the following software, put them into a dedicated directory, then start the computer in safe mode (update the tools before the safe mode or start safe mode with networking)
- (Optional) RKill to kill in memory baddies ( in case they already reside in memory)
- Microsoft tool (malicious software removal tool)
- After the above, run a good uninstall utility (Revo?), to remove the above utilities as well as other not-needed software which crept onto your operating system.
- After the uninstaller I highly recommend running CCleaner in order to clean the computer from any trace of anything