You already have a site - now you want to upgrade it, what should you do ?
- Make it fast - preferably not having any server side code (no php etc) just plain html
- Use Xenu to see that there are no broken links
- Redirect your site to the www domain
- Create a 404 page (or redirect to your homepage)
- Make it responsive!
- Reduce the size of the site components
- Compress images (many online services)
- Dust off unused CSS selectors
- Minify CSS
- Minify JS
- Minify Html
- Instead of minifying the above resources (css, js, html) use Google's minifier which minifies all of the above on the fly (also uses cache) and even joins the CSS & JS together so you will have less server calls.
- Use GTMetrix to analyze then implement their suggestions
- Use Google Page Speed to analyze then implement their suggestions
- Don't stop implementing speed fixes according to the above analyses till you get above 90% speed score!
- Add Analytics (google analytics)
- Add Google webmaster tools
- Create Sitemap (and submit it into google's webmaster tools)
- Add a robots.txt file
- favicon.ico (here or here)
- Clean all html non validations (all pages)
- Use WooRank chrome plugin and implement their recommendations
- Backup your site
- Backup your .htaccess file (against hackers)
- Configure your server to GZip all of the contents
Get Social: Add a google+ Author Add a Google+ page
- Facebook, Twitter, Klout
Define in the site an author and a company using google's special tags